Riga Dome Cathedral has been one of the major venues for concerts in Riga for hundreds of years. Also today, official services and concerts feature various musical performances.
Riga Dome Cathedral was the central cathedral in the Baltics until Livonia fell to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in 1561. It has Romanesque, early Gothic, Baroque, and Art Nouveau features and is considered the largest Medieval church in Latvia and the Baltic States.
On July 25, 1211 during a ceremony, Bishop Albert laid the foundation stone. According to art historians, the building was initially envisaged as a basilica but later the design was changed and a hall church was built instead. At the beginning of the 15th century, the cathedral was enlarged by building the western cross-nave and side chapels and elevating the side walls of the central nave thus making the church into a basilica. Riga Dome Cathedral tower was the highest spire in Riga at that time. The cathedral kept its appearance up to 1547, when on a Sunday before Pentecost, a great fire broke out in the inner city and the Gothic spire of the cathedral burned down. A new tower with a pyramidal spire and two galleries were built by 1595. The Cathedral cockerel dating back to that time can still be seen in the inner courtyard of the cathedral.
From 1881 to 1914, Riga Cathedral Building Section of Riga Society of Researchers of History and Ancient Times carried out major reconstruction and renovation for its present-day appearance.
From 1 October until 30 April: daily at 10:00 to 17:00.
|Address:||Doma laukums 1|
|Phone:||+371 67213213, +371 67509280|